*Kursen kommer bedrivas på Engelska
KIRUNA FISHING SCHOOL - YOUR GUIDE TO BECOMING A GUIDE!
Do you love fishing? Do you want to learn more about it and maybe turn your hobby into a future career as a professional fishing guide? Then, this could be the right educational choice for you!
Programme structure and content
The school is located in the land of midnight sun, Kiruna. Far up in the northern part of Sweden. Close to the town you have six thousand lakes with pike, perch, trout, grayling, arctic char and other popular game fish. You also find seven free floating rivers with big salmons and tricky trout that will give you a challenge. This will be a part of your classroom!
The program focuses on creating professional guides with in-depth knowledge of different type of angling. You will also be an expert of cooking in the field. The modern fishing guides need to fish sustainable so an advanced fishery biology and management course will be included. In other words, when you are finish with the program you will be ready to start your own guiding career.
- Different fishing methods
- Fisheries biology
- Real guide assignments (work-based learning)
- Camp life in the wilderness
- Safety and water rescue
- Tourism and the business of guiding
As a student we offer you to rent an apartment in a collective where you live during the program period. The cost of rental accomodation is approximately SEK 4000 per month.
Tuition is free of charge. Course fee SEK 12,000 goes to transportation costs, study trips, loan of certain teaching materials and certain outdoor- and fishingmaterials , student insurance for all school activites and internship-based education (student insurance does not apply to the distance learning module that can be carried out from home or homeland).
Application and student selection process
The school will look at the following points when selecting for the education:
- You are a serious angler who really wants to learn more and develop your hobby into a possible professional career. Your interest and motivation is an important factor in selection. The school will look closely at your personal letter and goals.
- You have a basic knowledge in English to be able to assimilate the education.
- Previous experience in fishing is an advantage for selection.
- Work/professional experience may be relevant to the application.
- The school may contact you for an in-depth interview.
- Limited number of attendees 15 students.
To be able to start the course it is required that you have a basic outdoor- and fishing equipment. The list below may be revised, for more information and updates visit the course website:
- Hiking boots
- Large backpack
- Fishing rods (reel and fly rod)
- Sleeping bag (three - four seasons is preferable)
- Sleeping pad (with good insulation)
- Suitable clothing for outdoor life
Before you apply please visit our website and read more about Your rights at folk high school. Information can be found under the tab: Skola och studier – Elevinformation – Dina rättigheter på folkhögskola
Detta förväntas kursdeltagaren kunna efter avslutad kurs
Länk till kursen på skolans webbplats